No matter what part of Rochester we may decide to live in, it is allways important to take safety precaustions to keep you and your belongings safe. One of the most imprtant steps you can take is to introduce youself to your neigbhors, this helps to establish a line of communications and creates a sense of unity.
Keeping an eye out for one another is a great way to help reduce crime.
Here are some general safety tips to keep in mind:
- The greatest deterrent to break-ins is to have your home appear occupied. If you go out, leave on the TV or a radio, as well as lights in various rooms.
- The harder it is to get into a house, the greater the chance burglars will bypass it. Don't have "hiding places" near doors or windows.
- Be absolutely sure all the doors and windows are locked. Use heavy duty locks and strike plates.
- Put a wooden dowel in the bottom track of sliding doors.
- Leave outside lights on at all times, or install motion detector lights. This is especially important at the rear of your house.
- If you are broken into, call the police immediately; don't touch anything so the police can dust for fingerprints.
- Have a neighbor keep a watchful eye on your home and return the favor.